Our founder Don Andres Brugal was born in 1849 in Sitges, Spain. After emigrating to Cuba, he moved to Puerto Plata to create the Brugal company in 1888. His Entrepre-neurial Spirit and one vision was to create only the finest rum. Expertise and rum craft-ing skills were transmitted to his family and passed down through the generations. Cur-rently our rum is crafted by 4th and 5th generation Maestros Roneros.
* Molasses is a dark colored liquor, sweet and viscous, with a 50% - 65% of fermentable sugars .
* It constitutes our main raw material to produce our ethylic alcohol.
* In this first stage, the molasses is dissolved in filtered water and mixed with a solution of yeast (*)fermenting the molasses and thus producing a wine which contains 8% to 10% of alcohol.
* The wine coming from the fermentation enters a vacuum distillation column (or burner) where the “vinasse” (vinaza) and an alcohol of low-grade (flema) are separated. This flema is diluted with water and enters a second rectifying column, where a clean alcohol of 95º GL is got.
* The total production capacity is of 75.000 L of alcohol / day.
* Alcohol at 95 ° is transported from the distillery of San Pedro de Macoris to the Puerto Plata facilities.
* The alcohol is diluted to 65º, alcohol considered ideal to start the aging process.
* The water comes from springs in the mountains of Puerto Plata.
* Purifying water treatments are carried out to prevent the water influences on the organoleptic characteristics of our alcohol.
* We have 250.000 barrels in Puerto Plata. The Majority American Oak, but we use also Spanish Oak that previously held Sherry wine
* It is a key stage in the art of crafting rum.
* The Master Blenders perform the optimum “marrying” to produce the desired and distinctive Brugal rum profile.
Brand Ambassador Brugal