The history of Intercontinental Distillers Limited dates back to 1749 when two Italians, Justerini and Brooks came together to form a wine and spirit business which they called J&B (derived from the initial of their names).
J&B went through series of acquisition and ownership change until it became what was known as International Distillers & Vintners (IDV). IDV itself was the spirit division of the then Grand Metropolitan Plc of the United Kingdom.
Grand Metropolitan Plc’s strategy to refocus her business, with the view to capture the international market, gave rise to the incorporation of International Distillers Nigeria Limited (IDNL) in1983.
International Distillers Nigeria Limited (IDNL) as it then was, commenced production in 1984 with Eagle Aromatic Schnapps on a manual line. The staff strength then was 53, of which three were expatriates.
The company grew in size through the development of a wide range of portfolio of successful brands, relying on a sound understanding of the Nigerian wines and spirit market, and indeed of the West African sub–region. In 1997, International Distillers Nigeria Limited metamorphosed into Intercontinental Distillers Limited (IDL)